Some odd stuff has happened in Vancouver's past.
Here's a sampling (click to view):
· 1900 to 1922
· 1923 to 1930
· 1931 to 1935
· 1936 to 1940
· 1941 to 1946
· 1947 to 1954
· 1955 to 1960
· 1961 to 1965
From 1941 to 1946
For more details on these items see the Chronology for the
- In 1941 there was a semi-professional football
team in Vancouver called the Vancouver Grizzlies!
- On December 8, 1941, the day after Pearl Harbor,
the electric flame at the Stanley Park war memorial commemorating
the Japanese-Canadian contribution during World War I was switched
off. It would not be switched on again until 1985.
- In Metropolitan Vancouver in 1941 four out of
five homes did not have all of the following: a car, a telephone,
a radio and a vacuum cleaner.
- On August 9, 1942 A.E. McRaes Hycroft mansion
in Shaughnessy, built at a cost of $109,000 in 1909, was sold
by the McRaes to a grateful federal government for $1. It was
used as a military hospital.
- On November 6, 1942 one of the lions (carved
in 1908 by John Bruce) in front of the provincial courthouse (now
our Art Gallery), the lion on the west side, was damaged by a
bomb. The culprit was never caught.
- Some of the stained glass windows at St. John's
Shaughnessy Anglican Church at Nanton and Granville Streets in
Vancouver are made from shattered fragments of 11th century stained
glass from Englands Canterbury Cathedral. The cathedral
had been bombed during the Second World War.
- Vancouver doctor Masajiro Miyazaki practiced
medicine in the city until 1942. Then the Japan-born doctor was
interned in the Bridge River-Lillooet area. In 1945 the town of
Lillooet petitioned for his release to replace its deceased doctor.
- In 1942 Saba's, the largest retail house in Western
Canada specializing in silks, experienced a riot when 500 women
stampeded the store to buy 300 pairs of nylon stockings (no one
- On August 25, 1943 at rededication ceremonies
in Stanley Park, the official party was driven by Frank Plant,
who had driven Lord and Lady Stanley and Mayor and Mrs. Oppenheimer
to the original dedication 55 years earlier! The 1889 ceremony
was re-created at the same spot.
- From the September 23, 1943 Province:
When Mr. and Mrs. E. R. Valleau purchased a home on Burte
Street in Burnaby they proceeded to build a home. That was last
February. Just the other day when Mr. J. H. Treaves purchased
a lot, he discovered he owned the Valleau home. Arrangements for
the transfer are being completed, and Mr. and Mrs. Valleau will
soon have title to their home. They had mistakenly built their
home on the adjoining piece of property.
- In 1943 Kitsilano Beach was used for rehearsing
commando beach assaults.
- The clubhouse of the Southlands Riding Club,
incorporated in 1943, was once an abandoned fisherman's net storage
hut on Deering Island. The hut was dismantled and carried piece
by piece, by members on horseback, to its present site.
- On April 23, 1944 Jack Benny did his famous radio
show from Vancouver. He brought his regular cast up from New York:
Mary Livingstone, Phil Harris, Rochester, Dennis Day and announcer
Don Wilson. What made the show particularly notable was that Mary
Livingstone (real name Sadie Marks) had grown up in Vancouver.
- On April 6, 1945 the town of Coevorden, the Dutch
city from which Capt. George Vancouver's family derived its name,
was liberated from Nazi occupation. In a happy coincidence, April
6 is the City of Vancouver's birthday!
- On July 14th, 1945 the Province ran a
story about a young blind man named Ivan Knopski who was building
his own house at the corner of Main Street and East 29th Avenue.
His neighbors, as they watched him building, didnt
believe he was blind. They were sure he was boasting, that he
had some sight left. But when they heard his hammer going on into
the night till 11 and 12 and no lanterns around, then they knew
he must be telling the truth. [The house is no longer there.]
- On November 6, 1945 Vancouver city council cancelled
an order that had established separate swimming days at Crystal
Pool for non-white people. The pool, the Province reported, is
now open to everyone, all the time, regardless of race, creed,
- Mayor L.D. Taylor, who died in 1946, was once
briefly married to two women at the same time. [See the Daniel
Francis book, L.D. Taylor and the Rise of Vancouver for
- On July 13, 1946 Field Marshal Viscount Alexander
of Tunis, Canadas new Governor General, became the only
white man in the history of the Pacific coast to become, with
full tribal rites, a native chief. While he was here, Alexander
received a Kwakiutl thunderbird headdress and ceremonial blanket,
and became Chief Nakupunkim.
- When the parking meter came to Vancouver in 1946
the fee was 5 cents for one hours parking.
1946 to 1954 »